Menotti brought opera into American living rooms with the televised Christmas Eve 1951 debut of this Christmas classic, performed by the NBC Television Theater. Since then, this charming opera has been staged more than 2,500 times around the world.
This warm and compassionate story captures the essential spirit of Christmas. It tells of the night the Three Kings, following the Star of Bethlehem, stop for shelter at the home of Amahl, a poor crippled shepherd boy who lives with his widowed mother. Inspired by the Wise Men’s talk of a kingdom “built of love alone,” Amahl offers his own simple gift to the Christ Child—and experiences a miracle.
Italian born but calling himself an American composer for the half-century he spent in the United States, Menotti wrote his first opera when he was 11. He went on to become the most prolific opera composer of his time and the winner of two Pulitzer Prizes. The New York Times called his music “attractive and unfailingly lyrical,” while the LA Times named Menotti “the toast of opera” whose work “generated the hope that a viable repertoire of American operas was being established at last.”
At approximately 50 minutes long, performed in English and with a young boy in the starring role, perhaps no opera is more family friendly than Amahl and the Night Visitors. The Indianapolis Opera is striving to make it even more so by offering Amahl’s Family Packages:
- Surprises and other goodies from Amahl will greet your family when you take your seats.
- Pre-show crafts and activities put everyone in the holiday spirit prior to the curtain.
- Friends and relatives can join you and save 10% on their tickets when bought with your family package.
- Star package – Four (4) tickets in premium seats for only $140 (a savings of $60), plus benefits listed above.
- Three Wise Men package – Four (4) tickets in regular seats for only $80 (a savings of $20), plus benefits listed above.
Don’t miss this heartwarming tale of selflessness and its rewards!
What: Amahl and the Night Visitors
When: Dec. 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 & 15, 2013
Fridays at 8 p.m., Saturdays at 7 p.m., Sundays at 2 p.m.
Where: Basile Opera Center, 4011 N. Pennsylvania St. Indianapolis, IN 46205 Single tickets are also available, starting at just $25. For these and more information on Amahl and the Night Visitors, please visit www.indyopera.org or call 800.745.3000.
Recommended ages for this show are 5 to 105. Packages and tickets are nonrefundable and nontransferable between productions. All sales are final.