OPENING: CONDUCTOR, INDIANAPOLIS OPERA CHORUS
REPORTS TO: General Director
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Part-time, independent contractor. Conductor is employed at will by the Indianapolis Opera.
• Prepare the Chorus for all stage events with the IO, in collaboration with the Principal Conductor, during the IO season (typically September through May).
• Plan, organize, prepare, and conduct independent park concerts as developed or assigned.
• Work closely with the Associate Chorus Director and the new Chorus Advisory Council in the coordination of all aspects of Chorus activities, including community outreach activities.
• Be a team player in working with others (Principal Conductor) to achieve the organization’s artistic goals and uphold the highest possible standards for the IO.
• Assist in promoting the activities of the IO in the community, recruit new chorus members, participate in IO public relations and marketing events, and serve as spokesperson and public ambassador for the IO.
• Conduct seasonal rehearsals, opera rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and independent Chorus concerts.
• Plan music for any scheduled independent Chorus concerts with General Director and Principal Conductor.
• Oversee acquisition of music and other supplies with the administrative assistant.
• Plan for required accompaniment at rehearsals and concerts with Associate Chorus Director.
• Arrange for quality soloists from the chorus for opera productions as needed.
• Attend staff, board, and committee meetings as needed.
• Hold auditions for new singers once a year and re-audition current singers as needed for special choruses to maintain balance and overall quality.
• Maintain and improve the membership of the Chorus.
• Attend key IO events and fundraisers as needed.
• Serve as spokesperson for the Chorus for marketing and recruitment.
• Perform other functions as necessary to meet the mission and goals of the IO Chorus.
• At least 3 years’ experience as professional choral conductor
• General experience working with operatic and musical theater repertoire
• Working knowledge of Italian, German, and French languages and diction
Send a cover letter and resume to Indianapolis Opera General Director, David Craig Starkey, at email@example.com with subject line “IO Conductor Search.”
The Indianapolis Opera hotel of choice: The Schahet Hotel